Locksport, as the art of picking locks for enjoyment is called, is a rewarding and fun activity that stimulates the mind and challenges ones finger dexterity. Having the proper tools and skills to use them could be valuable in Go Bag or EDC kit if you spend any amount of time in or around urban areas. It can also save a pricey locksmith bill from time to time, when you or perhaps a friend lock yourselves out or lose a key. This Entry Kit comes with a vinyl sleeve. and weighs a mere 2oz total. If you want a dedicated case to hold the kit, check out our Compact Lockpick Case or Leather Compact Lockpick Case!
Entry Kit Contents:
- EZ Card: Designed to work like a standard shove knife or gate latch tool with the convenience of sliding in your wallet like a credit card. Let’s be honest, a lot of the doors folks accidently lock themselves out of are the easiest to bypass, especially outside swinging types.
- 5 Piece Bypass MultiTool: Custom made for this kit, the Bypass Multi-tool is a powerhouse of lock bypassing capability! It features two of the most useful “jiggler” profiles, three of the most useful “comb picks”, and an upgraded version of the QuickStick.
Jigglers are used for “wafer locks” (Such as found on filing cabinets, access panels, RV side compartments, toolboxes, trailer hitch locks, etc). Jigglers do not use a separate tension tool like their “lockpick rake” cousins.
Comb Picks are bypass tools designed to push the entire pin stack above the shear line, allowing the plug to rotate and the lock to open. These tools work with a variety of cylinders most commonly found in solid-bodied padlocks, and puck locks. With a wee bit of practice, it is almost as easy as using the actual key. A short, but certainly not exhaustive list of what these open are:
– 4-Pin Comb: Master 40mm series solid body padlocks and various clones of this common design. (M140, M141, etc.) We have not had success with Brinks brand padlocks
– 5-Pin Comb: Master 50 and 60mm solid body padlocks and some Abus padlocks. (M150, M160, Abus 55/60)
– 6-Pin Comb: Master 6-Pin Puck Locks and Trailer Hitch locks (A2000, A2001, 6271), American Series 748 and other locks utilizing the American 2001 series cylinder. As well as some older model PacLocks.
The “Quick Stick” is designed to quickly open poorly designed Chinese padlocks, by reaching past the pins and bypassing the rotating core together.
- 2x Notched Decoder Shims: These are a bypass tool designed to open many combination padlocks made by Sesame and Master Lock, as well as many luggage locks by decoding or shimming. Picture those padlocks, keyboxes, and briefcase locks that consist of a row of 3 to 4 little number wheels next to each other. That’s what these are for. The shims included in this kit are an upgraded version over the previous “EZ Decoders”, with a longer handle and a notched tip profile. Included are one shim 0.010″ thick and one shim 0.006″ thick.
- 5 Piece Warded Pick Set: WWarded picks are designed to pick both modern and older Warded Locks. Made from full hardened stainless steel and designed to withstand the torsion needed to open even weathered locks.
- 5-piece Riveted Lockpick Set: Fully custom made for Tuff Possum Gear from 0.025″ thick tempered stainless steel. This is a selection of the five most useful profiles for “in the field” use and easy/medium skill level, based on my personal preference and the recommendations of many folks far more knowledgeable than I ever will be. They are the same length/format as the popular “Bogata Pi” set at just about 3.14″ long and are riveted together for easy handling in the field. The five lockpick profiles are:
– Short Hook w/ flat top (the only true “pick”, used for single pin picking, as all the rest are “rakes”)
– Half Diamond (Handy for single pin picking, zipping, etc.)
– City Rake (looks like a jagged mountain range. Used for rocking and raking.)
– Triple Peak, Large Wave Rake (AKA the popular triple peak Bogata pattern. One of my personal favorites)
– Five Peak, Small Wave Rake (a handy variation of the wave rake, popularized by TOOOL, The Open Organization Of Lockpickers)
- 3 Piece Tension Wrench Set: Getting a good tension on a lock is crucial to good picking. Each one of these three picks are a different thickness and double ended for a total of 6 different tension options to fit a multitude of keyway situations. The wide/long ends are for “bottom of the keyway” and the narrow/short ends are for “top of the keyway” tensioning. They are color coded: Red is .030” thick, White is .040” thick, and Blue is .050” thick.
Resources and Learning:
I highly recommend you pick up the book “Visual Guide to Lock Picking” by Mark McCloud
Lockpick Replacement Policy:
Lockpicks are thin tools and meant to be used with care, but as we are all about learning here, we know mistakes can happen.
If you abuse them and manage to break one, send us a message and we can probably square you away for a reasonable cost.
Legal Terms Of Sale:
Before placing an order of this item, The Entry Kit, it is the sole responsibility of the buyer and not of Tuff Possum Gear, its employees, or owners to ascertain and obey all applicable local, state and federal laws with regard to possession and use of any items ordered from Tuff Possum Gear. It is up to the buyer to consult their local and state laws if you are in doubt.
By placing an order the buyer represents that he or she is of the minimum age of 18 years old and that these products are to be used in a legal and lawful manner. The buyer, by placing an order, asserts to be a bona fide member of the locksmithing industry, amateur locksport participant, or other qualified purchaser.
Tuff Possum Gear assumes no liability associated with product possession or usage. Furthermore, the buyer alone is liable and responsible for any loss, damage or expense of any kind arising from the use and/or misuse of any item sold herein.